Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A RIDE THROUGH THE HOLLERS OF CARTER COUNTY

Yesterday, I took my 1st Yoga class. I felt very good after the class. We spent time doing back exercises and after the class, it felt so good, like there was no compression on my spine!



I felt compelled to ride after I left the gym. So ride is what I did. I decided to ride the hollers of the county I live in. Carter County has many hollers. In the past, it was recommended to strangers to stay out of the hollers. The folks living back in the woods and hills didn't take kindly to strangers. I think things have changed a bit since then. I didn't feel uneasy http://chessiestales.blogspot.com/to ride these roads yesterday. In fact it felt really good. I saw a lot of cool stuff. Some of the photos turned out well, and others...

I really like the old steel bridges we have around here. But lately, I guess some pork barrel funds were let loose upon our county, because they are replacing 2 that I know of this summer. Here is one...





Moving along, this is what I enjoy when I ride out here in the hollers, this old house, recently abandoned...but it shows so much history.



And these deer are becoming a common sight this year. Many of the locals believe we will have a bumper crop of these guys this year!



I also came across a well maintained country cemetery...You guys know how much I like photographing cemeteries!



This is the time of year when the mountain hollers and hill sides send out the heavy aromas of sweet hay and clover! It's wonderful...but watch out of bees. I was stung on the cheek, just in front of my ear by a bee or a wasp. Glad I'm not overly sensitive to em. Just yell "SON OF A..." "MO-FO that hurts!" as well as few more choice exclamations.



I came across a weathered barn, whose doors no longer hung on the old iron hinges:





The shaded interior was cool, inviting and it was apparent to me, whoever built this structure was no framer.



The faded and curling boards suffering the years of heat and cold, stand in stark contrast to the beauty that is the landscape of Carter County.



After a while, I leave Stony Creek where I was exploring the hollers, and rode to the mountain top above Shady Valley, overlooking "The Snake". I walked onto the Appalachian Trail, leaving my bike parked on the side of the road. I had been told of a very pretty sight on this part of the trail. I was told it wasn't hard to get to and while the hike was about 1/4 mile up a slight grade, it would be worth the effort. Tell me, what do you think?











Leaving this heavenly spot on the mountain top, I drop into the valley below and point the wheel north into Damascus VA. Passing through this quaint town, and heading south east back into TN. I once more find myself taking lesser roads to find the America we all yearn for while we ride our motorcycles. I found it.



In Spades...





And one last scratch your head moment: I found these headstones in Mountain City.



It's time to head home. I had a great time exploring these places...I hope you do too.